The Civil War 
Image Shop
Your Subtitle text

4- 29 -17

I update several times a month so check back often. If you are interested in a specific item it is best to contact me so we can mark you down on our want list for those items

*I will reply to every inquiry made generally within several hours of receiving it. If you do not see a reply from me within 24 hours check your spam box*

For placing an order you may call 419-541-0456 or email me at





Item #89143 Killer albumen of this classic North Carolina foot soldier. He sits dressed in a grey frock with the black shoulder tabs indicating infantry. Double armed with a large D-Guard bowie knife and a small caliber revolver. The entire thing measure about 12 1/2" x 11". Unfortunately he is not identified. Very sharp and clean view. It remains housed in the original wall mount frame as well. Great Confederate albumen! $750.00

Item #68754 Very nice carte view of Captain Thomas McFarland of Massachusetts. In August of 1862 Thomas would be commissioned as a 1st lieutenant in Co. D of the 3rd Massachusetts. There he would see a number of small engagements during the Goldsboro expedition before mustering out towards the later part of June, 1863. Three months later Thomas was commissioned as a lieutenant in the 58th Massachusetts. In March, 1864 he would be promoted to captain. He would next see action during the Wilderness where the regiment was heavily engaged. It was followed by Spotsylvania Court House where they would again be in the heat of battle. The 58th would follow it up with a number of small engagements through the month of May before finding themselves on the field at Cold Harbor. Here the 58th would hold an advanced position near the Bethesda Church and be subjected to a murderous fire from the enemy. McFarland would number among the 24 men killed from the regiment during the engagement. This is a very nice view of him. It is hand signed on the reverse in period ink by McFarland from his time while serving with the 3rd Massachusetts "Thos McFarland Co.D 3d". No back mark but very nice view. $200.00

Item #45444 Group of three stereoviews. The first view shows a shot of the outside of Fort Sumter after the bombardment with a large siege cannon laying outside the fort walls among the rubble. The second view shows the remains of the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad Depot located in Richmond in April, 1865 after a large portion of the city burned to the ground during it's evacuation. The last view shows a train depot located in Nashville, Tennessee with a dozen or more locomotives that were used to help keep the Army of Tennessee supplied. A description of each scene is listed on the back of the cards. One of the cards does have a fold through it. $120.00

Item #56559 Carte view of lieutenant Charles W. Haskell of the 9th Vermont infantry. Commissioned at sergeant in Co. D starting in July of 1862. He would receive promotions to lieutenant in November of that year and to 1st lieutenant that following May. He would serve up until June, 1865. The 9th Vermont was part of the force captured at Harper's Ferry in 1862. They would go on to serve in a number of engagements and were one of the first units to enter Richmond after the fall of the Confederacy in April, 1865. Very nice view by Brady. $100.00

Item #29086 Superb carte view of New York infantryman taken camp. This is from the Illustrations of Camp Life done by Brady. This young infantryman sits on a stump dressed in a New York jacket wearing his cartridge box and a SNY waist plate. The jacket looks as if it were just issued to him. Double armed with a revolver tucked into his belt and holding onto his musket. This is probably a member of the 21st New York that was photographed at Upton's Hill, Maryland during the fall of 1861. The regiment spent winter quarters there and built Fort Buffalo at that location remaining until March, 1862. Wonderful and rare view. $375.00

Item #22918 Nice mourning locket for an unidentified Federal officer. The image itself is cut down from a cdv and then placed inside the locket along with the very intricately section of braided hair. The case itself is made out of a black japanned metal with a removal back and a glass cover. Measures about an 1 1/2" x 2". Neat little item. $375.00

Item #33312 Carte view of Colonel Noel B. Howard of the 2nd Iowa Infantry. Noel was commissioned a 1st lieutenant in May, 1861 and would go to become one of the youngest officers to obtain the rank of colonel. He was quite the exemplary officer. In under a year he had been promoted to captain and then to major just 6 months later. Promotions to lieutenant colonel and colonel would come in 1864. His robust attitude in the face of the enemy would cost him a serious wound in the thigh at Atlanta on July 22, 1864. He would recover and serve until July, 1865 when he was finally mustered out of service. No back mark on this one. $110.00

Item #87900 Killer carte view of Sergeant Cornelius Sweet of the 137th New York Infantry. A former orphan at 6 years of age he would enlist at 21 as a corporal in Co. H. during the summer of 1862.  The regiment would see action in numerous battles but none more so than at Gettysburg. Sweet was promoted to sergeant on July 1, 1863. The next day he was on Culp's Hill fighting off a wave of enemy attacks. The regiment which was alone and unassisted held it's own against a vastly superior force but won the day but at great cost. The regiment would suffer more casualties than any other regiment in the 12th Corps. Cornelius would go on to fight in a total of 14 engagements following Gettysburg but would eventually muster out in June of 1865. Following the war he went on to become a prominent Reverend living to the ripe old age of 98. This view shows Cornelius seated with the "white star" for the 12th Corps pinned to both the breast of his jacket and the side of his cap. An ink inscription is written across the bottom front as well as another on the back. This one does come with a small amount of history on Cornelius. Spectacular view! $450.00

Item #33412 Neat little gemtype of Edward May who served in the United States Navy. May would be commissioned into the Navy in September, 1861 and serve on board the USS UNADILLA participating in blockading duty around the coast of South Carolina. In April, 1862 May would be promoted to paymaster. At some point he would transfer to the USS LACKAWANNA. After the war he would remain in the Navy serving in the South Atlantic, Gulf Squadron and Boston Navy Yard. He would retire from the Navy in January, 1900. This one has a nice blond ink signature across the front bottom and is dated from 1866. A really great back mark on this one as well. $55.00

Item #68755 Group lot of 5 carte views. The first is a montage view of 9 various US generals from the war. Next is a view of General Burnside's by Brady followed by Schuyler Colfax who served as Grant's vice president. The last two include a view of General Phil Sheridan and an unidentified post war view out of Baltimore. $110.00

Item #90912 Extremely nice carte view of Frederick E. Garnett of the 74th New York Infantry. Garnett would muster as a private just 12 days after the firing on Fort Sumter. Over the next 3 years he would rise through the ranks until attaining a final promotion to 1st lieutenant. The 74th was part of the Excelsior Brigade and saw heavy fighting in a number of engagements such as Seven Day's, Fair oaks and Fredericksburg. It participated in the second days fight at Gettysburg where it fought valiantly on the Emmitsburg Rd, losing some 89 men. Garnett would be counted among the wounded. He would manage to survive to wound and carry out the rest of his enlistment mustering out in July, 1864. This is a very nice view with good crisp corners and no fading. It is signed on the reverse as well in period ink by Garnett and bears the very desirable Gurney & Son back mark. $425.00

Item #78596 Superb carte view of Surgeon William Winslow Eaton of the 16th Maine Infantry. William enlisted on June 6, 1862 and was appointed to hospital steward that same month. A promotion to assistant surgeon came in January of 1863 and the to full surgeon in May of 64'. He was with the regiment and almost certainly served the men at Fredericksburg where the regiment was slaughtered charging the well entrenched rebels. At Gettysburg they fared no better. At the end of day three only 2 officers and 15 men remained for duty out of the 248 that went into the fight. William was among the captured there. He fell into enemy hands on the first day and was put in charge of the Lutheran Church Hospital taking care of the wounded from both sides. He remained there until July 4th when advancing Federal units over took the church. He was highly regarded among the men for his attention to the sick and wounded throughout his service. In December of 1863 Secretary of War Stanton granted him a leave of absence to complete his medical studies. He received his degree in March of 1864 and rejoined his regiment serving honorably until his discharge in June of 1865. This views bears an ink signature across the front by Eaton. Extremely nice view back marked out of Bangor, Maine. $575.00

Item #22109 Wonderful carte view of a Union camp scene. A group on men can be seen off to the right side seated on the ground playing a game of cards with several onlookers. Along the left side is a row of very crudely constructed shelter tents lined up under a large oak tree. Must have been a pretty high stakes card game as it appears to have the attention of the entire camp. A number of men stand wearing Hardee hats. An old pencil inscription on the reverse reads, "I think this is a picture of my grandfather Wm Ulrich's Cavalry Co. in the Civil War Geo. W. Anderson" More than likely he is referring to William Ulrich of the 2nd Illinois Cavalry who mustered for almost 2 years beginning in late February, 1864. They would see considerable action in the Gulf vicinity and into Texas. Pretty neat view! $850.00

Item #79121 Rare carte view of a number of colored soldiers that look to be guarding Confederate prisoners. You can see about a dozen colored troops in this view. In the immediate foreground you can see 3 troops dressed in uniform standing before a number of stacked arms. Directly behind them stands four more with their muskets held in the "slope" position. To the right and left are piles of lumber for what I presume is this newly built two story stockade building. There are 3 windows on the second floor with bars over the windows. A Number of men stand milling about on the second story deck which I assume are Confederate prisoners guarded by several armed colored soldiers who stand in their midst. Unfortunately the scene is not identified. No back mark on this one. Extremely rare view! $1350.00

Item #22091 Beautiful carte view of Confederate general Joseph Reid Anderson. A prominent industrialist prior to the war he would received a commission to major of artillery in August, 1861 and then to brigadier general that following September. His first assignment was commanding Confederate forces located at Wilmington, North Carolina. In April of that following year he was then sent to Fredericksburg to oppose McDowell and his forces there. As the Peninsular Campaign kicked off and an increasing threat to Richmond continued to build he was placed in command of the 3rd Brigade. He would fight at Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill and Frayser's Farm where he would be wounded. After his wounding Anderson resigned his commission and returned to operating the famed Tredegar Iron Works which he owned. He would continue to serve the Confederacy by producing the majority of munitions and cannons for the southern war effort. On April 2, 1865 as retreating Confederate forces began evacuating Richmond they set fire to whatever they thought might be of use to the Federals. To protect the Tredegar Iron Works from destruction Anderson himself paid some 50 armed guards to protect the building from being set ablaze. As a result the facility became one of the very few building located in the warehouse district to remain standing as Federal forces entered the city. This is a beautiful view of Anderson dressed in this magnificent double breasted frock. Wonderful gold braid up the sleeve. Just a fantastic view. One slight bend on the one corner otherwise fine. Back marked by Anthony. $400.00

Item #68111 Incredible and rare view of Captain John Yellot of the 1st Maryland Potomac Home Brigade, Company G. Yellot was a resident of Baltimore. He was also a slave owner of two slaves. Despite that fact he sided with the Union. Like many families during the war his family was split. George Yellot who was a relative of John's served with Mosby's Raiders. Washington Yellot, another family member would serve with the 1st Maryland Infantry CSA and was fighting it out on the oppositse side of the battlefield of John at Bull Run. In September, 1861 John would be commissioned a captain in the 1st Maryland Infantry despite several of his families southern allegiance. In September of 1862 he would be part of the garrison that surrendered to enemy forces at Harper's Ferry. Immediately paroled he would rejoin the regiment. That following July Yellot would command Co.G atop Culp's Hill on the second day's fight at Gettysburg. There they helped repulse the final Confederate attack under Longstreet. After the fight Yellot was part of the force that pursued Lee as he retreated back across the Potomac River. It was during this pursuit that John was accidentally shot in the left shoulder as they sat in camp at Maryland Heights. While the wound was serious he managed to survive and in December of that year took a promotion to major. The wound still plaguing him, he took the position of Provost Marshall of Fredrick, Maryland. There he was charged with deporting those from the city who had "aided or encouraged" the enemy along with numerous other duties. Near the end of November, 1864 with his wounds still troubling him he was discharged  for wounds received. Yellot is shown here during his position as Provost Marshall. He sits with either a newspaper of perhaps one of the general orders which he issued rolled up in his hand. The view remains housed in it's original album page identified in ink writing on it's front. It is also back marked out of Fredrick. Very rare view from a state that doesn't come up very often. This does come with his service records. Exceptional with great history! $500.00

Item #21900 Carte view of Gustavus Moore of the 16th Maine. At 19 years of age Gustavus enlisted in Co. B of the 16th Maine in August, 1862. He would be captured on July 1st at Gettysburg but return to his regiment after his capture. A promotion to 2nd lieutenant would come in December 1864 which places this image taken some time after that date. Moore would eventually be discharged in the early summer of 1865. This one is hand signed in ink by Moore reading, "Regards Gus Moore Lieut. 16th Me Vols". Nice view but no back mark. $450.00

Item #57643 Rare view of General Robert E. Lee done by Vannerson & Jones of Richmond. Standing view of the general leaning on his sword. This particular view was taken by Vannerson for the purpose of constructing a statue of Lee which was done by Edward Valentine. This is an original from life view. Very hard to find. Some foxing to the front but extremely rare with the Vannerson & Jones back mark. $800.00

Item #45110 Extremely rare albumen print titled, "Orphans Homestead, Gettysburg, Pa." This measures 9" x 11.5". As a result of the countless children left without a parent due to the war the residents of Gettysburg decided to create a home to house these children in September of 1866. Prior to becoming the home to orphaned children the residence served as the Headquarters for Union General Oliver Howard during the Battle of Gettysburg. The building at it's peek housed some 120 orphans. In 1877 the orphanage closed it's doors after it was found that the orphans were receiving horrendous treatment and regular physical and terrible abuse at the hands of the orphanages manager. There were some really horrific abuses that took place here and this building does still stand in Gettysburg to this day. In this view some roughly 20 orphans stand out front dressed in various types of cadet style uniforms. The girls stand of to the left all dressed in plain white dresses. In the center stand Union Generals Crawford, Porter and Grant along with Governor Geary. I believe this was taken in 1867. An identical view sold on ebay just a couple of years ago for $2700. This one has been conserved by Maria Pukownik of the Gettysburg Fine art & Paper Conservatory who does some exceptionally fine work. I do have a larger scan available of this print to better show the details of it if you need to see it. Extremely rare and hard to find view. $950.00

Item #12120 Exceptional carte view of Confederate Jeff Thompson taken while imprisoned at Fort Delaware. Your going to be searching for a long time to find another one of these that is for sure. In July, 1861 he was appointed Brig. Gen. of the First Division, Missouri State Guard. Thompson and his men patrolled the swampy southeastern part of the state and his battalion some came to be known as the "Swamp Rats" after numerous exploits. Thompson himself earned the nickname "Swamp Fox of the Confederacy". He fought in several battles in and around Missouri and Arkansas where he was eventually captured. He spent time at the Gratiot Street prison in St. Louis, Fort Delaware where he sat for this view and also Johnson's Island. Eventually he was exchanged in 64' for a Union general. Thompson would surrender at Chalk Bluff, Arkansas on May 11, 1865 thus ending Thompson"s military career. This particular view is back marked by John Gihon's of Philadelphia. Superb and extremely rare view for an advanced collection. $1350.00

Item #65432 Nice carte view of Carrington Raymond of Co. D, 7th New Jersey Volunteers. Raymond would be commissioned a 1st Lieut. in the 7th in October of 1861. He would serve with the regiment at Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Bristoe Station and a few others before his discharge for a promotion in late June of 1863. He took a promotion to major on that date and was commissioned into the US Volunteers Adjutant General Department where he stayed until his resignation on February 1st, 1865. This one is back marked by the Whitehurst Gallery that was located in Washington. His photo can be seen on page 229 of "Give it to Them Jersey Blues History of the 7th New Jersey Volunteers" by John Hayward. A very nice view! $175.00

Item #57767 Beautiful carte view Brevet Brigadier General Alexander Gardiner of the 14th New Hampshire. Gardiner would be commissioned a 1st lieutenant and adjutant starting in September, 1862. A promotion to major would come in September, 1863 by another promotion to colonel the following September. This view dates to April, 1863 while he was serving as a lieutenant. Wonderful period ink inscription on this one. Gardiner has inscribed the lower portion reading "Hqtrs 14 Regt. N.H.V. Camp Adirondack Washington D.C. Aprl. 23/63 Lt. Spencer L. Bailey with regards of his friend "The Adjutant"". Lieutenant Spencer Bailey would serve alongside Alexander in the 14th regiment. Gardiner would be wounded during the fight at Opequan, Virginia on September 19, 1864 and subsequently die of those wounds on October, 8th. The upper portion of the card has then been inscribed by Bailey reading, "Col. Gardiner died of wounds recd Sept. 19, 1864. A brave man and a true friend". For his actions at Opequan Alexander would receive a brevet to brig-general following his wounding. Beautiful card with nicer inscriptions I have seen. $295.00

Item #79812 Beautiful carte view of Major General Gouverneur Kemble Warren. Appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the 5th New York in mid may of 1861. Promoted to Colonel of the regiment for his actions during the Battle of Big Bethel. He would command the regiment at Yorktown and a brigade during The Seven Days Battle. Wounded at Gaines Mill he was back in time to fight at Malvern Hill where he held off a superior force. Next he commanded a brigade at both Second Manassas and Antietam. Promoted to Brigadier General of Volunteers for his actions there he would lead a brigade at Fredericksburg. He would perform admirably again during Chancellorsville. It was his action during the Battle of Gettysburg that he most known for. It was warren who realized the strategic advantage of Little Round Top. He immediately dispatched Colonel Strong Vincent's brigade to take the hill just as Confederates began to attack securing the hill for the Federal forces which quite possibly saved the Union army from defeat. He would go on to fight admirably at Bristoe Station, the Mine Run Campaign and several others before having a falling out with General Phil Sheridan who accused Warren of moving his Corps to slow at the Battle of Five Forks. He would be reassigned to the defenses of Petersburg for the rest of the war. Extremely nice view back marked by Anthony. Period pencil id across the bottom front. $150.00

Item #22186 Carte view of Lieutenant Edward F. Gould of Vermont. Edward's initial enlistment began in the 1st Vermont Infantry serving a 3 month term beginning in May, 1861. While only in for 3 months their history is quite entertaining if you ever get a chance to read it. His term would end in August. That following January Gould would enlist as a sergeant in the 8th Vermont Infantry receiving subsequent promotions to 1st sergeant and then 1st lieutenant. Edward would see action in a number of engagements in and around Louisiana such as Port Hudson and later in a handful of engagements in Virginia. Very nice view back marked out of Burlington. $85.00

Item #78965 Carte view identified as Captain Joseph A Perry of the 17th Maine. A resident of Portland, Joseph would enlist in Co. C. of the 17th Maine during the summer of 1862. Mustering as a 2nd Lieutenant he would receive promotions to both 1st Lieutenant and later to Captain in 1863. Their first test came at Fredericksburg where they performed admirably. After their action there General Birney admitted the 17th Maine into the "Order of the Red Patch" which allowed the men to now where the red diamond patch on their uniform. At Chancellorsville the regiment would suffer considerably. 40 members of the regiment would receive the Kearny Medal during that fight alone. At Gettysburg the regiment would go down in history for the role they played in and around the now famous Wheatfield. A monument to the 17th Maine now rests at the location. They would go on to fight at such places as the Wilderness, Cold Harbor and many other. They would lose 745 men during their term of service. Perry would survive the fighting and muster out with the regiment in June, 1865. This view is hand signed in ink across the front by Perry. It is back marked out of Portland. Very nice view. $300.00

Item #90785 Super nice carte view of General Burnside. Probably one of the nicer Burnside views I have seen. Seated pose of the general with a great view of those iconic sideburns. Nice rich tones to this one. Back marked by Appleton & Co. of New York. $175.00

Item #89132 Carte view of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock. He would see action in a number of battles. Wounded in the abdomen during the the failed attack on Marye's Heights during the Battle of Fredericksburg. Probably most famous for his actions at Gettysburg which helped secure a Union victory. During Pickett's Charge a bullet passed through the pommel of his saddle and lodged itself in his thigh. He would recover and go on to lead men at a number of battles including Cold Harbor, Wilderness, Spotsylvania and others. This one is back marked by Anthony and is identified by a period ink id across the front bottom. Very nice view. $150.00

Item #57664 Very, very nice carte view of Confederate General William Henry Fitzhugh Lee. Known as Rooney Lee to friends and family, he was the second son of General Robert E. Lee. Rooney would serve as a colonel for the 9th Virginia Cavalry before being promoted to brigadier general after the Battle of South Mountain. He served admirably at Antietam under the command of his cousin General Fitzhugh Lee and commanded some of Stuart's cavalry at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. At the onset of the Gettysburg Campaign he would be wounded at Brandy Station and captured two weeks later at Hickory Hill while recuperating from the wound. He was held a prisoner of war until February, 1864 when he was exchanged for Union General Neal S. Dow. Rooney returned to the Confederate Army and received a promotion to major general and took command of a division in the Cavalry Corps. He would participate in the break out from Petersburg and the Appomattox Campaign before eventually surrendering there with his father. Nice crisp view back marked by Anthony. $300.00

Item #90012 Extremely nice carte view of Lieutenant Albert D. Beckwith of the 2nd Vermont Infantry. Beckwith would muster as a sergeant in Co. I beginning in June, 1861 for a 3 year term. In those 3 years he would see more war than I am sure he cared too. Starting with Bull Run the 2nd Vermont would slug it out in battle after battle with the Army of the Potomac. Savage's Station, White Oak Swamp and Antietam just to name a few. Albert would not survive unscathed. His first wounding would come at Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862. He would survive and fight on at Gettysburg and Rappahannock Station. In December, 1863 he would re-enlist and would be wounded once again during the units first fight following the winter of 1863 while engaged at the Wilderness. Another dozen battles would follow before his eventual discharge during the summer of 1865. Albert is shown here dressed in his frock with a corps badge pinned to the breast. This view was taken while serving as a 1st sergeant. A rank which he attained on October 18, 1864. It is signed on the reverse in Alberts hand in period ink. "A. Beckwith 1st Sergt Co. I 2nd V. Vols". This one is back marked out of Weston, Vermont with a revenue stamp on the back which has been cancelled by drawing a star over it. First time I have seen that. Very nice view. $200.00

Item #22190 Carte view of Lieutenant Daniel Whalen. Daniel first served in the 105th New York after enlisting  in Clyde, New York in early January, 1862. In March of that following year he would transfer into the 94th New York where he would remain until is eventual discharge in July, 1865. Daniel would see no shortage of action with either regiment. At Gettysburg the 94th would lose 245 men. Here Daniel wears the rank of 2nd lieutenant which he attained in on April 2, 1865. This one has a very nice bold ink signature on the reverse and is back marked out of Albany, New York. $80.00

Item #68777 Outstanding grouping pertaining to Colonel Charles C. Nott. Beginning in late August, 1861 Charles was commissioned a captain in the "Curtis Horse" 5th Iowa Cavalry, Co. E. That October he was assigned to the "Fremont Hussars", a select cavalry battalion tasked with guarding Major General John C. Fremont. Early in 1862 he was seriously wounded during a skirmish with Confederate troops when he was thrown from his horse and discharged for disability in May, 1862. He would return home to his native New York to recuperate. While there he was appointed lieutenant colonel of the 131st New York Infantry beginning in October, 1862. Before he was even able to properly fulfill his duties as lieutenant colonel for the regiment Nott was selected to command the newly raised 176th New York Infantry in January, 1863. Dispatched to the Gulf Theater the regiment would earn the nickname of "Ironsides" while fighting in Louisiana. Five months after taking command of the 176th he would be captured while convalescing in a hospital due to illness in Brashear City, Louisiana after Union forces were defeated there. Charles would be sent to Camp Ford in Texas and spend the next thirteen months in a POW camp. In med June, 1864 he would be paroled and 2 months later he was mustered out of service. Nott would return to his life as an attorney. In February of 1865 Lincoln would appoint him to serve on the Court of Claims. He would oversee a number of influential cases and in 1896 was appointed Chief Justice of the Court of Claims by President Grover Cleveland. Shortly after the close of the war he would write the book "Sketches of War" which consisted primarily of his war time correspondences and would follow it up with "Sketches of Prison Camps". Nott would eventually pass away in 1916. This grouping consists of a fantastic carte view of the colonel immediately following his parole from prison. Nott is shown leaning on a walking stick with his clothes in rags. A rubberized haversack and canteen hang from his shoulder with a drinking cup strapped to his haversack. He wears what appears to be half of another coat over his shoulder with the sleeve dangling from off his arm. This view was taken upon his return to New Orleans. Accompanying the carte is this fantastic period charcoal drawing taken from the pose shown on the cdv which measure 12" x 14". This one comes with a boatload of paper work and research on Nott as well. Absolutely killer and one of a kind piece! $1650.00

Item #78132 Carte view of Quarter Master Sergeant Francis O. Sawyer of the 9th Vermont Infantry. Francis mustered with the 9th Vermont in June, 1862. He would serve in that position for the next 2 years with a promotion to 1st lieutenant. Beginning in June, 1864 he would be promoted to captain and assistant quarter master in the US Volunteers Quartermaster's Department. Francis would serve in that capacity up until the end of May, 1866 when he would be mustered out of service. Very nice period ink signature on the reverse by Francis while he was serving as a lieutenant quarter master with the 9th Vermont. Nice view. $100.00

Item #90012 Carte view of 1st lieutenant John S. Boynton of the 118th New York Infantry. Boynton would muster as a lieutenant with Co. K. of the "Adirondack Regiment" starting in September, 1862. Their enlistment would begin a little slow serving garrison duty in the defense's surrounding Washington. Beginning in the late spring of 1863 however they would get their first taste of what war was about and it would be constant from that point on. The 118th's first major loss came at Drewery's Bluff where they lost nearly 200 men. Next came Cold Harbor followed by Petersburg, Fort Harrison and Richmond losing close to another 200 men. The ranks heavily depleted they would continue to fight on until the close of the war. Boynton however had possibly had his fill of war or there may be some other unknown reason but in February of 1864 he resigned his commission and headed back home. He stands here dressed in his frock. His cap rests on the pedestal at his side mostly ubscured by the curtain but you can just make out the infantry horn on the front. No back mark on this one but it is a very nice view with very deep color tones. $80.00

Item #22012 Carte view of Captain Charles W. Lockwood of the 81st Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Charles was commissioned into Co. F of the 81st as a 1st lieutenant beginning in August, 1862. Two years later he would receive a promotion to captain in August, 1864. A month prior to his promotion he would be wounded while engaged at Marietta, Georgia. This view is hand signed by Charles on the reverse with this great inscription reading. "Truly Yours Chas. W Lockwood 1st Lieut. Comdg Co. F 81 Ohio". This view of Lockwood was taken during the winter of 1862 - 63' while the regiment was encamped at Corinth. Charles would serve up until January, 1865 before being discharged. Very nice carte view with wonderful period ink inscription. $150.00 

Item # 77347 A very nice carte view of Brevet Brig. General Moses Barett Houghton. Moses took a commission with Co. D of the 3rd Michigan Infantry during the early summer months of 1861. Wounded in the thigh at Fair Oaks he took a 30 day leave of absence to heal before returning to the regiment where he received a promotion to major. In May of 1863 Houghton found himself in the severe fight at Chancellorsville where he led a charge against against some of Jackson's men near the Chancellor House. James Taylor who was a member of Co. I wrote of Houghton, "led by Maj. Houghton in his short sleeves, a revolver in each hand, we took in about 500 prisoners in short order". He would receive a commission to Lieut. Colonel on January 20, 1864. Shortly afterwards he returned to Michigan given the task of raising a new "3rd Michigan". After the completion of the formation of the new regiment Houghton was mustered as it's colonel. The regiment spent the remainder of the war marching back and forth across Tennessee and Alabama seeing little action before being shipped off to Texas. Houghton would receive a promotion to Brevet Brig. General on March 15th. He undertook a number of various positions until his discharge in in 1866. This is a very nice view of Houghton which is signed in pencil by Moses himself. No back mark on this one but a very nice view signed by the general himself! $275.00

Item #78534 Carte view of Captain Jonathan P. C. Fall of both the 9th and 30th Maine Infantry. Jonathan first took a commission as a 1st lieutenant in Co. B of the 9th Maine beginning in late September, 1861. He would remain with the 9th Maine up until may, 1863 when he would resign his commission. January of 1864 saw Jonathan taking a commission once more. This time with Co. H of the 30th Maine. later in July of that year he would find himself parked in a POW camp in Macon, Georgia after being captured at Petersburg on July 30th. He would end the war in January, 1865 when he was finally mustered out of service. Wonderful view of the captain holding his straw cap in his hand. Back marked out of Janesville, Wisconsin. $125.00

Item #78791 Pretty killer carte view of a Federal cavalryman mounted on his horse. Nice broadside of this soldier seated in the saddle and holding the reins. He's posed in the center of the street of some small American town. A number of buildings are seen behind him with a small white washed fence running parallel to the road. This one is about as nice as you're going to fins too. Nice, deep color tones. No fading at all and all the corners are nice and crisp. No back mark on it though but you don't see these in the carte format very often. Super nice! $350.00

Item #89754 Carte view of Colonel Joseph John Morrison of New York. Morrison was commissioned a captain in Co. A of the 83rd New York Infantry in late May, 1861. He was discharged just 2 months later. That December he took a commission as captain of the 3rd New York Light Artillery, Co. B. He would remain there until may, 1863 when he would resign his commission. Possibly due to the inactivity and boredom which comes with seeing little to no action. January of 1864 saw Morrison taking a colonel's commission with the 16th New York Heavy Artillery. He would serve in that capacity until his eventual discharge in August, 1865 but would receive a brevet to brigadier-general in March of that year. This view shows Morrison dressed in his double breasted frock and wearing his colonel's shoulder boards. Mint view but no back mark on this one. $125.00

Item #78752 Carte view of Lieutenant Colonel Henry F. Dutton of the 8th Vermont Infantry. Henry would be commissioned with Co. H as a captain in mid January, 1862. He would receive a promotion to major in June, 1863 and then to lieutenant colonel six month later. He would fight in a number of engagements throughout Louisiana including Port Hudson. Dutton was later severely wounded in September, 1864 during the Battle of Opequan, Virginia which would result in his discharge that November. This one is a bit faint but it is back marked out of New Orleans. $55.00  

Item #68674 Killer view of General Caldwell and Staff taken at Fair Oaks in June, 1862. Caldwell himself sits in the center holding his knee. Directly to his left stands Lieut. Colonel Nelson A Miles who would end the war a major general. He would go on to have a lengthy military career and become a famous Indian fighter while being awarded the Medal of Honor. Seated to the far left is Captain George W. Bullock. Standing directly to Caldwell's right is Lieut. Daniel Cross of the 5th New Hampshire. It was Daniel who during the Battle of Antietam saw an opportunity to bring enfilade fire against Hill's men after they executed a flanking movement to the left. He would end the war a lieutenant colonel. Seated to the far right is Lieutenant C. A. Alvord. The officers are all posed in front of a makeshift tent constructed from an enormous American flag! This one is from the Brady Album Gallery series and does have the original sticker on the reverse describing the view. It is a bit larger than your normal carte view measuring just over 3 1/2" long and a little over 2 1/2" tall. Great clarity on this view. Wonderful carte! $375.00

Item #77812 Rare carte view of naval Captain Charles Vernon Gridley with exceptional history. A graduate of the US Naval Academy Charles reported for duty on board the sloop-of-war Oneida in September, 1863. There he served with the West Gulf Blockading Squadron. On August 5, 1864 Gridley would distinguish himself alongside Farragut during the Battle of Mobile Bay. It was here that Farragut would become forever famous for "Damn the torpedo's!". During the battle, Gridley was placed all the way forward of the Oneida so that he could watch the channel for mines and give steering instructions to Commander Mullany. The Oneida was struck numerous times during the battle losing 8 men killed and another 30 wounded. Charles himself would just barely escape injury when a shell struct the vessel just feet from where he was standing. He was later praised by his commanding officer in the official report of the action. Post war he would continue to serve with navy and from 1871- 75 he would serve as a lieutenant commander on board the only United States Navy ship based in the Great Lakes. In March of 1897 he would be promoted to captain and assigned to command the Olympia which was serving as Commodore Dewey's flagship in Yokohama. Gridley distinguished himself once again on May 1, 1898 during the battle for Manila Bay when Commodore Dewey forever immortalized Gridley when he gave his famous command, "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley". During the entire battle Gridley would remain at his station inside the armored conning tower directing fire and controlling the vessels movements. The hot Philippine sun along with the humid temperatures made the conning tower something like a small oven. Gridley refused to leave his post however. After the conclusion of the battle Charles was in no mood to celebrate. Already suffering from dysentery and what is now believed to have been liver cancer he was weakened even more so as a result of the heat. It became obvious shortly thereafter his health was rapidly failing him and he was removed from command and transferred to the Zafiro and then by stretcher to the Copic to begin his long journey home. Fully aware of his failing health he simply wrote in his journal "I think I am done for it, personally". He would die on board the Copic on June 5, 1898. This view was taken during his service with Farragut. It is signed in ink by Charles and back marked out of New Orleans. Very rare view. I have not seen another from his service during the Civil War and this one is in exceptional condition. $450.00

Item #78121 Extremely nice carte view of this young Confederate officer. Dressed in a double breasted frock with the rank of captain. This one is not back marked but it came out of an album of views that were all marked of out Henderson County, Kentucky. The 10th Kentucky Partisan Rangers were recruited in Henderson County. I am fairly certain this is Captain Lorenzo Dow Hockersmith of the 10th Kentucky Cavalry who served in John Hunt Morgan's command and was a personal friend of Morgan. Lorenzo joined the 10th Kentucky during the summer of 1862 with the rank of 3rd lieutenant. He was afterwards promoted to captain. He was captured along with most of Morgan's command when they raided Ohio and Indiana in July, 1863. Initially he was sent to Johnson's Island but was transferred to Columbus. It was there where they made their escape tunneling out under the prison floor. He was later promoted to lieutenant colonel. Hockersmith was part of the honor guard present during Morgan's marriage to Miss Ready. His home is currently listed on the National Registry of Historic Homes in Hopkins County, Kentucky. Beautiful view! $450.00

Item #22987 Carte view of Assistant Surgeon David G. Hetzell of the 23rd New Jersey Infantry. Hetzell would be commissioned into the 23rd on September 17, 1862. He would tend to the men for the next 9 months. There was no shortage of work for him to perform. Especially after the regiment was engaged at both Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. The term of enlistment for the 23rd ended in June of 1863. That October, Hetzell took a commission once again as assistant surgeon. This time with the 34th New Jersey.  There his services were no less needed. Tending to the wounded after an engagement neat Clinton, Kentucky and again in April, 1865 when the regiment assaalted a number of forts in the Gulf Coast region. His last days of service would come in April, 1866 when he and the rest of the men from the 34th were mustered out of service. This view has a very nice period ink signature on the reverse signed during his tenure with the 34th New Jersey. Back marked out of Trenton. $195.00

Item #33339 Very nice carte view of Surgeon Andrew Heermance Smith. Andrew originally enlisted as an assistant surgeon with the 43rd New York Infantry in December of 1861 until his discharge for a promotion to surgeon with the 94th New York Infantry in late May of 1862. He would then serve with the 94th for only 2 months before receiving another promotion. This time to assistant surgeon with the United States Army Medical Staff. He would serve with the medical staff until his resignation in April of 1868 but not before a promotion to both captain and major in mid March, 1865. This is a very nice view Smith. Very clean with no bends or creases. $150.00

Item #57621 Carte view of lieutenant James P. Thomas of both the 105th and 94th New York Infantry. This one comes housed in the original albumen sleeve with a period ink inscription across the lower bottom. Thomas would initially muster into Co. E of the 105th New York in mid December, 1861. He would serve there up until March 10, 1863 when he was transferred into Co.F of the 94th New York. It was with the 105th that he would receive promotions to both 2nd and 1st lieutenant. On August 19th, 1864 James fell into enemy hands at Weldon Railroad and became a POW. His capture was short lived and he was paroled rejoining his unit. He would continue to serve until until July, 1865 when he was eventually discharged. Very nice view back marked out of Albany, New York. $85.00

Item #55754 Very nice carte view of Major David Vickers, Jr.  Vickers originally mustered with Co. B of the 3rd New Jersey Infantry in late May of 1861 but within days received a promotion to captain of Co. A of that same regiment. At the end of September of 1863 he was discharged for a promotion to Major with the 4th New Jersey Infantry. He would serve with the 4th up until his capture on May 12, 1864 while engaged at Spotsylvania Court House. Confined at Macon, Georgia and later Columbia, South Carolina he would eventually be released. He ended his career with a promotion to colonel in March of 1865 and then again to Brevet Brig. General in May of that same year. After the war he spent time serving as a diplomat to Cuba before his death in June of 1908. This is a nice view of Vickers with a period ink identification along the bottom front. Back marked by Manger's of Philadelphia. No bends or creases in this one either! $250.00 

Item #89712 Carte view identified as George B. French. This one is back marked out of Portland, Maine. Most likely George B. French of the 5th Maine as he is the only soldier by that name serving from Maine and the regiment was in fact raised in Portland. George enlisted in Co. E. starting in December, 1861. He was captured on May 23, 1863 although the location is not mentioned. Exchanged he would rejoin the regiment. Almost a year later he is reported as missing at Spotsylvania. There seems to be some confusion with his service. At some point in 1864 he transferred into the 7th Maine and then transferred again into the 1st Maine Veteran Infantry. George was eventually mustered out in June of 1865. This view most likely dates to his initial enlistment in Portland. The 5th Maine would see extensive action at Gettysburg as well as just about every major engagement of the war. Very nice bold inscription along the front. $75.00

Item #56412 pair of carte view of 2nd lieutenant Smith D. Martin of the 8th Illinois Cavalry. Smith would muster in Co. D as a corporal in September of 1861. He would serve with the regiment through a number of engagements including Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Malvern Hill, Antietam, Fredericksburg and a slew of others. Smith would re-enlist in January of 1864. The 8th Illinois holds the honor of being the first regiment of the war to originate veterans for enlistment. Martin would continue to serve until the summer of 1865 taking a promotion to lieutenant in March of that year.. The first view shows Martin as a lieutenant and is back marked out of St. Louis. It is hand signed in period ink by Martin and was probably taken near the end of his enlistment or very shortly there after as the muster out in St. Louis. The second carte is an earlier view of Martin and is back marked out of Chicago. Nice pair of images. $500.00

Item #19821 Carte view identified as Joshua Simster Garsed of Co. B., 23rd Pennsylvania Volunteers, Birney's Zouaves. Joshua would muster with the famed regiment as a corporal during the first week of August 1861. Serving with the Army of the Potomac he saw no shortage of front line action. During that time he would rise to the rank of 1st Lieutenant only to be captured at White's Ford just two months after his promotion. He would spend the next month and a half confined at Libby Prison before being exchanged and rejoining his regiment. Joshua would slug it out with his men through the next few battles arriving at Gettysburg at 4 o'clock on July 2nd. On the 3rd at 5:30 in the afternoon a Whitworth round fired from a rebel position slammed into Garsed striking him between the right shoulder and neck which literally "tore him to pieces". Presumably he was struck during the intense Confederate bombardment that was meant to soften up Federal lines prior to the final grand charge for the Confederacy. Later that evening a shallow 2 foot grave was dug on the farm of Michael Frey and Garsed was laid to rest there. On the 11th his brother and father arrived on the field and had his body disinterred and embalmed before sending it back home to Philadelphia for burial there. He was finally laid to rest on the 23rd with full military honors in the Leveringon Cemetery of Philadelphia. This very image is published on page 107 of "History of the 23rd Pa. Volunteer Infantry". No back mark on this one but an extremely rare view. $1350.00

Item #89891 Carte view of Colonel Samuel L. Buck of the 2nd New Jersey. Buck would be commissioned a major in the 2nd New Jersey in May of 1861. A promotion to lieutenant colonel would come in January, 1862 when he replaced Isaac Tucker. He served with distinction during the Peninsular Campaign receiving a promotion to colonel of the regiment after Tucker was killed during the Battle of Gaines Mill. Buck would command the 2nd New Jersey through the 2nd Battle of Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. During the Battle of Chancellorsville he would lead the regiment in the VI Corps attack on Salem Church. Buck would assume command of the brigade after his commander, Henry Brown was wounded in the repulse from Salem Church. Serving in that position for only a few hours he was severely wounded when while crossing Banks Ford an enemy shell exploded startling his horse which threw him. He spent a good deal of time in Washington recovering and did not return to command until the fall of 1863. Back in the saddle Samuel would lead the regiment through the Mine Run Campaign and then the Overland Campaign in the spring of 1864. July would see the end of his term and he would be mustered out of service. This view is hand signed in ink on the back. Bottom corners are rounded otherwise a very nice carte view of a hard fought unit. $300.00

Item #78791 Carte view of a naval officer. This looks to be a first assistant engineer. He sits dressed in a double breasted frock with his cap resting on the table beside him. An eagle grasping an anchor is pinned to the front of the cap. Nice view but no back mark on this one. $175.00

Item #46512 Beautiful carte view of Colonel William Robertson of the 24th New Jersey Infantry. William would muster as a colonel is September of 1862 and would take part in the first assault on Marye's Heights during the Battle of Fredericksburg. They would not fare well losing 160 men during the fight. Another 40 would be lost at Chancellorsville. Robertson would manage to survive the hell storm and muster out in June of 1863 along with the rest of the regiment. This view is hand signed in ink by William across the front bottom. Back marked out of Philadelphia. Near mint card with just the bottom corners clipped. Very nice view! $300.00

Item #12081 Rare carte view showing the interior of a hospital ward. Either side of the room is lined with bed after bed. All of which are occupied by men either sitting up on the edge of the bed or laying down. Some of the men appear to be missing limbs. Several beds have men to sick to sit up and all you see if the feet sticking out at the end. A small group stands against the back wall with a portrait hanging from the wall above their heads. It looks to be James Buchanan. There was in fact a hospital named "Buchanan Hospital" which was located in Richmond, Virginia. The location is thought to have been in the area of Buchanan Springs around Harrison St. The site was used by Federal occupation forces as a hospital and also an encampment called Camp Williams. You can see all the windows along the top have been opened to let in fresh air. Very interesting view. This is the first interior view of a hospital that I have seen in a carte format. No back mark unfortunately. $850.00

Item #21999 Rare carte view by Brady of Colonel Henry A. V. Post of the 2nd USSS. Henry would be commissioned into the 2nd United States Sharp Shooters on the 1st of January, 1862 by special order from the War Department. Prior to that he was serving as the Lieut. Colonel to the regiment. He would not serve in that position long. While leading his men during the Battle of Antietam a ball struck him in the upper arm traveling down the length of the arm and exiting at the elbow. He was carried back to the famed Stone Church on the Sharpsburg Road before eventually making his way back to a hospital in Washington. As a result of that wounding he would receive a discharge on November 18th, 1862. The back bears a very nice period ink inscription reading "H.A.V. Post Col of 2'd U.S.S.S. Wounded at Antietam. Sept. 17th, 1862. Resigned Nov. 1862". This one is marked by Brady. Great image from this highly sought after unit! $900.00 

Item #67678 Exceptionally nice carte view of Colonel Isaac W. Starbird of the 19th Maine Infantry. Starbird would begin his enlistment as a captain in the 19th Maine starting in August 1862. This view however shows him wearing his full bird's shoulder bars. He served with the regiment up until his wounding at Gettysburg when the Confederates charged headlong into the 19th Maine positioned between Cemetery Hill and Little Round Top. He survived the wound and another stint in the hospital after becoming ill that same year. The year 1864 saw him receive promotions to major, lieut colonel and finally colonel in November 1864. Just days before the surrender he would be severely wounded while fighting at High Bridge, Virginia on April 6, 1865. The next day he would receive a brevet to brig. general. This is a beautiful view which is hand signed in period ink on the reverse by Starbird himself. Exceptional view and formerly of the of the Robert Trownsell collection. $1000.00

Item #67812 Carte view of Brig. General General George Varney. Originally mustering as a major with the 2nd Maine in early May, 1861. He would be one of the first to march out of the state after Lincoln's call for volunteers. During the Federal debacle at Bull Run Varney would be wounded at captured. Probably not the way he thought the war was going to go I'm sure. A month later he was exchanged for Confederate officer. Returning to the ranks he was promoted to lieutenant colonel. Not long after he once again lay in the hands of the enemy this time captured at Gaines Mill. I can only assume his expression was something along the lines of "not again...". He was soon exchanged once more and proceeded to Fredericksburg. Here Varney led his men along an unfinished railroad cut in an attempt to bring his men closer to the stone wall located on Marye's Heights. Along the way a shell fragment struck him in the head and knocked him senseless which may have been a blessing in disguise. Major Daniel Sargent took over and led the men into the hell storm of shot and shell which was pouring from the stone wall. The regiment was just completely annihilated here. Varney would recover and would be made a full colonel in January of 1863. That summer he would muster out with his regiment. He would eventually receive a brevet to brigadier general in 1865 for his actions at Fredericksburg. This one is slightly trimmed. No back marked but a pencil id on the back. $150.00

Item #58162 Carte view of private Frasier Rosenkrans of the 44th New York Infantry, Co. K. which was known as the Ellsworth's Avengers. Frasier's war time service began on September 30, 1861. The 44th saw extensive action taking numerous casualties along the way. Their baptism by fire came at Hanover Court House taking considerable loss. From there they were in the heat of action of every single major battle of the Army of the Potomac and they paid a heavy price for doing so. Rosenkrans remarkably managed to come out unscathed battle after battle. At Gettysburg they defended Little Round Top where they lost 111 men. Rosenkrans luck finally ran out at Spotsylvania Court House. He received a bullet to the chest and lay on the field eventually falling into enemy hands. Sent to the infamous Andersonville Prison I doubt he stood much of a chance with such a serious wound. As a result he never left. He is reported in the "1865 Census Mortality Schedules Officers and Men Town of Benton" that he died there as a result of either from the wound or from starvation. Probably a combination of both I would presume. His name is written on the back but whether it's in his own hand is unknown. Back marked out of Alexandria, Virginia. $275.00

Item #54278 This is a neat pair of items. It's a carte view of Confederate General William Wickham of Virginia. Included with the view is the original envelope from the Hall's Art Gallery and Studio located in Virginia in which the image was found.  These came directly out of General Wickham's personal library from his estate which was sold in it's entirety several years ago. He fought in several major engagements including Manassas, Chancellorsville, Brandy Station, Gettysburg among several others and was severely wounded by a saber blow at Williamsburg. He later resigned his commission in 1864 to take a seat in the Second Confederate Congress. The carte view is a little faint and was highlighted by the artist at the time to apparently make up for some of the lightness of the image. I would assume this was taken probably sometime in 1864 or 65 and with the blockade taking effect the necessary products for image production were very lacking by this time. Hence the need for the artist to manually highlight the image. Great pair of items and which certainly handled by General Wickham himself! $450.00  

Item #34312 Rare carte view of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Chamberlin of the 150th Pennsylvania Bucktails! Originally Chamberlin signed as a captain in Co. D of the 34th Pennsylvania Infantry starting in June, 1861. On June 30th, 1862 while engaged at Glendale, Chamberlin stooped down to pick up the flag from the fallen color bearer when he was shot in the left leg just below the knee. As the Union lines retreated he was left on the field and captured. His next 2 months were spent in Libby Prison before being exchanged for William Prince of the 8th North Carolina in August. That following month he was discharged from the 34th Pennsylvania for a promotion with the 150th while he lay in a hospital bed still recovering from his wound. His wound healed he would fight along side the men of the 150th at Gettysburg where they slugged it out on July 1st near the McPherson Farm. Attacked from both sides the regiment suffered severely and Chamberlin fell severely wounded with a bullet in his right shoulder and one in his back. He would survive the wounds but would be unable to return to duty and resigned his commission in mid March, 1865. Very nice view but no back mark. $825.00

Item #68732 Carte view of Corporal George W. Brown who served in both the 157th and 191st Pennsylvania Infantry and Corporal Edwin S. Kellogg of the 89th New York Infantry. Both men would lose their left arms at Petersburg. There are a number of different views of these two. Edwin Kellogg stands to the right dressed in his New York Jacket with the sleeve pinned up and holding a musket. Brown stands next to him cradling the flag keeping it from touching the ground. They took a number of different views which were sold to help raise money. This one has an old pencil inscription on the reverse which says "Pitisburg June 18, 1864" marking the date when the two men were wounded. Probably written by one of the men I'm sure. Back marked out of Pottsville, PA. $395.00

Item #21421 Gemtype of William C. Rowe who began his service as a corporal in Co. F of the 4th Maine in mid June, 1861. His service with the 4th Maine would be short lived. William would fall ill in 1861 and spend considerable time in the hospital. As a result he was discharged for disability in February, 1862. A persistent fellow he would re-enlist in September of that same year with Co. F. of the 19th Maine. He would remain there until his discharge in June 1865. This view is signed by Rowe on both the front and the back. Neat item. $175.00

Item #67600 Rare albumen of members of the 57th Massachusetts Infantry posed with Confederate General William Mahone taken at the Crater on May 3, 1887 during a reunion there. General Mahone can be seen standing directly in the front row, center sporting his large beard which is now completely grey. After sappers lit the fuse and detonated the explosion on July 30, 1864 the 57th Massachusetts was one of the first regiments to storm directly into the now gaping hole. General Mahone led the counter attack. Now trapped inside the large bowl like depression the men of the 57th made for easy targets as Confederates rushed to the outer rim. A number of them were captured when they were unable to escape. Mahone became a hero throughout the Confederacy as a result. You can seen the majority of the men from the 57th wearing their reunion ribbons. Down in the left hand corner the shaft is still visible which was dug in order to supply oxygen to the miners who were tasked with digging the tunnel. This one is 12 1/2" x 11". The image itself is 10" x 8". Very rare view taken by famed Confederate photographer Charles Rees who was now working in Petersburg. Some paper loss to the mount but the image itself is fine. Neat view! $550.00

Item #57662 Carte view of adjutant Charles H. Dougherty. Charles mustered into Co. A of the 7th New Jersey Infantry in August, 1861. Over the next couple of years he would receive promotions to sergeant major, 2nd and 1st lieutenant and finally to adjutant. He would fight in some of most severe battles of the war and survive. Barely. His first wound came at Malvern Hill. A second wound would follow when he was shot through the shoulder near the Trostle House on July 2nd at Gettysburg. Tempting fate once more he would be wounded at Spotsylvania Court House. The third time being the charm he was finally discharged for disability in September of 1864. This view is hand signed by Charles, "Yours Truly Charles R Dougherty 1st Lt and Adjt of NJV". Very nice view back marked out of Philadelphia. Quite the soldier. $550.00

Item #95461 Rare carte view of Colonel Isaac Jones Wistar. Early in 1861 after the outbreak of war Wistar raised a company of men which became part of the 1st California Regiment. Originally serving as a captain of that regiment he took a promotion to lieut. colonel on June 28th. Wistar would show his leadership abilities early on. The regiment would see their first real action on October 21st during the Battle of Ball's Bluff. Wistar would assume command of the regiment after Colonel Baker was struck down at the head of the regiment. Colonel Wistar would not escape injury either during the onslaught. He would be seriously wounded. Struck in the right elbow, then his jaw and finally his thigh. Of the 570 seventy officers and men taken into the battle only 375 came out. As a result the 1st California regiment became the the 71st Pennsylvania. The view here shows Wistar with his arm in a sling still recovering from the gunshot wound he received in the elbow. He would fair no better at Antietam. This time he was struck in the left arm. Two months later he would receive a promotion to brigadier general and was assigned brigade command of the VII Corps. On May 7th, 1864 he began leading a brigade during the Bermuda Hundred Campaign but would be relieved of duty just 11 days later. Shortly afterwards he submitted his resignation ending his military career. Very nice view back marked by Gutekunst of Philadelphia. A break down of Wistar's military is history is written on the back of this view in pencil as well. Some documentation included also. $750.00

Item #79813 Large albumen of Captain Joseph C. Clark of the 4th United States Artillery, Battery E. In May of 1861 Clark took a commission with the 4th Artillery serving as a captain. He would receive brevets to major, lieutenant colonel and colonel over during the following years. At the Battle of Antietam the 4th Artillery moved across the bridge with Strugis' Division. While positioning the battery just west of the bridge, a spherical shot from a Confederate battery burst in the midst and just feet from Clark. Lieutenant baker had just ridden up to speak with Clark and was killed on the spot. Clark himself had his thumb shattered. Another ball passed completely through his body just above the hip bone. A third ball lodged in his thigh while yet a forth struck him on the knee doing severe damage. Clark would survive the wounds miraculously but would retire in May, 1864. This is an extremely nice print and quite large. It measures 10" x 13". Very nice albumen! $425.00

Item #10021 Extremely nice carte view and clipped signature of Major Richard Cloyd Parker. Parker's military career would begin as a sergeant major in the 5th Pennsylvania Infantry.  He would only serve there for two months before taking a commission as a lieutenant in the 12th US Infantry in May of 1861. His first taste of battle would come at Yorktown, quickly followed by Gaines Mill and Malvern Hill. Parker would serve as Aide-de-camp and Assistant Inspector General on the staff of General Ayers. Heavily engaged during the Battle of Chancellorsville he would receive a brevet to captain for his actions there in the face of the enemy. Gettysburg would follow next where he once again served with distinction. Parker would eventually end the war with a brevet to major for gallant and meritorious services in the field. His military career would continue until March, 1879 when he retired for disability in the line of duty. This view shows Parker striking a Napoleonic pose and cradling his sword. His cap rests on the pedestal at his side with infantry insignia and the numeral "12" pinned to it's front. It was signed along the bottom at one point but has been trimmed. It is dated on the back as having been taken in October, 1861. The clipped signature comes from the album page which held this view. You can just see part of of his signature along the bottom. Unfortunately the card must have been trimmed to fit into an album. Back marked by Fredericks of Broadway. $500.00

Item #56511 Carte view of Connecticut Governor William Alfred Buckingham. The governor was a close personal friend of Abraham Lincolns and a strong supporter for the president during his presidency and during the run up to his election. He worked tirelessly to help the war effort and oversaw almost all of the procurement of men and materials supplied by Connecticut. His concern for the welfare of troops from the state was almost unmatched going to great lengths to make sure the men were well cared for. He later persuaded the Connecticut General Assembly to raise a regiment of colored troops for the war effort. William was given the nickname the "War Governor" for his tireless work. After the war he served for a number of years in The U.S. Senate before his death in 1875. This one is back marked out of Hartford. Modern pencil id on the reverse. $35.00

Item #81642 Beautiful mounted albumen print of the famed Burnside Bridge located at Antietam. This view of the bridge was taken by Gardner not long after the armies had left this place. Damage to the bridge and the adjacent stone wall from the fierce battle which was waged here can still be seen. It looks very tranquil considering the hell that took place here. Titled across the bottom "Burnside Bridge, Across Antietam Creek, Maryland". This print is extremely large. The entire albumen card measures 18" x 13" so it's pretty big. The image itself measures 9" x 7". This is a very, very nice print. Don't get much nicer than this one. $1000.00

Item #67812 Carte view of Surgeon William W. L. Phillips of the 1st New Jersey Cavalry. William would muster with the regiment for a 3 year term beginning in the summer of 1861. This regiment participated in a total of 97 engagements!! 12 men from this regiment would be awarded the Medal of Honor. Based on their battle history it can be safely assumed that William was kept very busy in his role as surgeon. He apparently saw his fill of war time service and mustered out during the fall of 1864. This is the same view which is published on page 287 of "Jersey Cavaliers". Thee is also a pencil id on the back which also identifies him. Back marked out of Trenton. Nice view. $350.00

Item #34671 Here's a rare one. Brigadier General Robert B. Vance of North Carolina. Vance recruited a infantry company which came to be called the Buncombe Life Guards and was elected captain of that company before being elected colonel of the 29th North Carolina Infantry. He fought in defense of the Cumberland Gap and commanded a brigade during the Battle of Murfreesboro after James Rains was killed. He contracted Typhoid Fever shortly there after and spent considerable time recovering. Promoted to Brig. General in early March, 1863 he was later captured on January 14th, 1864 at Crosby's Creek, Tennessee by a member of the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry. He would spend the rest of the war a captive at Fort Delaware where he sat for this view done again by Gihon and back marked by him as well. Period ink id along the bottom as all the views from this album carry. Super rare view in wonderful condition minus the trimmed corners to better fit the album page. Extremely rare! $1350.00

Item #80091 Carte view of Lieutenant William Lowell Putnam of the 20th Massachusetts. Williams service was very short so views of him are very scarce. He was a law student at Harvard when war broke out joining Co. E. of the 20th Massachusetts enlisting as a 2nd Lieut. in July of 1861. He came from a family of staunch abolitionists. His mother, Mary Lowell Putnam wrote numerous books and plays against slavery. His uncle was famed abolitionist and editor of the Atlantic Monthly James Russell Lowell. William himself was a close personal friend of Oliver Wendall Holmes. His service would last almost 4 months to the day of his enlistment. He was grievously wounded in October of 1861 during the Battle of Balls Bluff. Gun shot he refused care or treatment claiming others had a better chance of survival and care should be given to those suffering rather than his mortal wound. He died the next day in excruciating pain. His death was mourned in large by all of Massachusetts. The Governor himself broke down in tears upon learning of Williams death. Very rare view. Back marked by Allen & Horton of Boston with a period pencil inscription along the front bottom. $225.00

Item #21167 Carte view of Edward T. Shantz of the 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry, Co. I. Shantz enlisted with the famed 72nd on August 10th of 1861. At some point during his time with the regiment he received a wound. Where that wound was received, how it was received or even when it was received doesn't appear to have been recorded. Simply that he was wounded. Whatever the wound was it was serious enough for Shantz to earn a discharge for disability almost 3 years to the day of his enlistment on August 15, 1864. This view is inscribed with a period ink id by Shantz on the reverse stating his name, regiment and company information as well as an address. Possibly his own or whoever the view was sent too. This one is slightly trimmed and has clipped corners as well. No doubt from it's placement in an album at one time. Back marked by Evers of Philadelphia. $185.00

Item #08121 Carte view of Colonel Issac Wistar. Early in 1861 after the outbreak of war Wistar raised a company of men which became part of the 1st California Regiment. Originally serving as a captain of that regiment he took a promotion to lieut. colonel on June 28th. Wistar would show his leadership abilities early on. The regiment would see their first real action on October 21st during the Battle of Ball's Bluff. Wistar would assume command of the regiment after Colonel Baker was struck down at the head of the regiment. Colonel Wistar would not escape injury either during the onslaught. He would be seriously wounded struck in the right elbow, then his jaw and finally his thigh. Of the 570 seventy officers and men taken into the battle only 375 came out. As a result the 1st California regiment became the the 71st Pennsylvania. He would fair no better at Antietam. This time he was struck in the left arm. Two months later he would receive a promotion to brigadier general and was assigned brigade command of the VII Corps. On May 7th, 1864 he began leading a brigade during the Bermuda Hundred Campaign but would be relieved of duty just 11 days later. Shortly afterwards he submitted his resignation ending his military career. No back mark on this one. $225.00

Item #43412 Nice carte view of four Federal officers seated around a table enjoying a game of poker. This is actually a use of trick photography. There are only 2 men sitting at the table in reality. Each man is actually playing against himself. Nice early use of trick photography. None of the men are identified unfortunately. Very nice condition and back marked out of Boston. $275.00


More Items Coming Soon!

To place an order please contact me at    
Personal check, money order and Paypal accepted

Website Builder